Saturday, July 5, 2014

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn- Book Review



After reading "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn I was sucked into her style of writing. I've never been the murder mystery type of person but, her novels are so well written and suspenseful that I just can't help myself from reading more! 

While "Gone Girl" had its twist in the middle, this book waits until the very end for its plot changing twist. I almost liked that better because I knew there was a great twist coming but, I just couldn't figure out when. 

Yet again, with this novel, Flynn wonderfully tells a story through the main characters point of view. It really makes the reader try to peice together what happened while telling several stories at once. 

Dark Places is a story of Libby Day who is trying to get to the bottom of the murder of her mother and sisters when she was young. The character of Libby was generally a little rough at first but, I eventually grew to like her and see she was a survivor above everything. Libby reaches out to her brother Ben after a murders enthusiast group convinces her that he is not the killer and is in jail for no reason. I was not a fan of his character throughout the novel although, I don't feel as if Flynn wanted him to be a character the reader "likes" so to speak. 

As with both of Flynn's books that I have read, I always feel like there could be as sequel. The story could continue into a second book with great ease. I'm not sure if that's intentional but it drives me crazy in a good way! It's one of the things that makes the book great! 

I don't want to get into the plot too deep but, I loved how all the pieces came together for a stunning plot twist at the end. While I had my theories about the ending, none of them were even close to right! 

I would definitely recommend this book for anyone looking to pick up a good read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment