Friday, January 23, 2015

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

3 out of 5 stars

I originally picked up this book because I loved Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by the same author and I also love Pride and Prejudice. Zombies are also pretty high up on my list of interesting things. I thought this would be a perfect book! I was wrong. 

While the storyline stayed generally the same, I was not impressed. The Bennett sisters are trained in martial arts along with most of the other characters such as Mr. Darcy. It did give the characters more of an edge but, I generally enjoy them in their original form. The fact that they were trained killers did modernize the story slightly but, I feel like this side of the story left more to be desired by the reader. I would have preferred a slight back story on their training or how it came to be given the ages of the girls. 

I think one of my biggest complaints about the book is that I didn't like how the zombies were portrayed. Maybe I have watched a little more Walking Dead than Seth Grahame-Smith and therefore my idea of the zombie was skewed. At one point the zombies were eating cauliflour because it looked like brains. This was a huge turn off to the book for me because of it's cheesy nature. I think it is a well known fact that zombies can smell the human flesh and therefore would never mistake a vegetable for a human. I also did not like how at one point a gun shot scared off a herd of zombies when they are generally attracted to noises. While I knew the book would probably be cheesy, I was disappointed in the zombie characterization. 

It was a nice refresher of the Pride and Prejudice storyline for someone who had not read the book since my sophomore year in college. (Which was longer ago than I would like to admit). I still love the love story of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. It was not the easiest love match and I love that about it. The book did not deny me that story and I was very happy about that! 

If you like reading different versions of a story then do not deny yourself this version. If you enjoy books about zombies, I say skip this one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment