Thursday, December 17, 2015

Insert straight face smiley here

Today was my school's Christmas luncheon. We get volunteers to watch our classes and we all go into the library to eat a potluck meal. It is generally a jolly time and a nice way to talk without the kids being there. 

Well, today just sucked. Remember that previous post about the teacher across the hall from me being pregnant? Well, that is apparently a hot topic to talk about. 

First off, we were getting ready to eat and her assistant goes "Let's let the pregnant lady go first!!!" Um, sure. Then the lady beside me goes "I hope I'm not pregnant. I never want to do that again" Then looks at me and says "If I am, you can just adopt our baby and it can be yours". How nice of you. My only saving grace in that moment was when the 5th grade teacher said "I wish I could have been first in line the 4 years I tried to get pregnant and the 5 years it took us to adopt" AMEN SISTA!!! 

Next I go to find my cup that I had sat down and guess who is sitting beside me, pregnant girl from across the hall. Fan-friggin-tastic. 

Everyone then decides to tell the tales of their pregnancies. One by one I heard of all the things that happen while pregnant and then how absolutely joyful children are despite all of that. 

By this time I just wanted my day to be over and get home. I still had an hour left of the party AND an hour left in my classroom. 

Somehow I made it through. I cried on the way home and hugged each of my students a little tighter at the end of the day because, they do help sometimes. 

Hopefully next Christmas will be much better!! Maybe I can be at the front of the line! 

No comments:

Post a Comment