Thursday, February 13, 2014

She works hard for the money

As a teacher, I am VERY dedicated to my job. I work late, I bring home work, I spend extra money on my classroom, I attend workshops, and I try to further myself in my career. I love my job. I worked so hard to earn my degree while working two jobs and then to obtain my masters degree while beginning my career. I have always been very career minded. As you can tell, I take so much pride in working. 

Today, I received a nice offer at work. They offered to train me in the reading recovery program. This would allow me to become a reading teacher and get out of the classroom. Same pay but, almost a step up in my eyes. Training would begin next school year and is pretty intense. Then it hit me, what if I'm pregnant? What if I have to deliver in the middle of training? What if my advancement opportunity is missed because I will be out on maternity leave? For someone who only recently realized there was more to life than work, this hits you like a ton of bricks. 

When we first started trying to conceive we were aiming to have a due date during the summer so I wouldn't have to miss that much work. After 7 months and a round of fertility drugs, that has flown out the window. I will be happy to get pregnant whenever it happens. But what about my job? This is a point in my life where I have to teach myself that the job will always be there, opportunities will always arrive, but children are something that I can not put off because of my health and being a military spouse. 

Between hypothyroidism, PCOS, and my husband being gone all the time with the Navy a child will be a miracle. 

I will still accept the training, by the time it starts, I could still be trying to conceive. (I hope not!) This situation just made me realize how much a baby will change my life. It won't be about work anymore, it will be about family. It won't be about the dog and both cats anymore, it will be about my child. A balancing act that I will have to learn, especially as a person who has always been career and education focused. 


No comments:

Post a Comment